Saturday, July 21, 2012

How It Happened

My name is Vicki. I am 28 years old. I am a wife and "mom" of two dogs. I am a middle school years who doesn't exactly take the summer off. And I am like many others in the United States over weight. I am not just over weight, I am considered morbidly obese by my doctors, my WII Fit, and society. I am, as of today, 189.2 lbs. I have fluctuated between 180 lbs- 188 lbs for the last four years or so. After graduating high school in 2002, I went from 140 to 165 lbs my freshmen year of college. Even at 140 lbs my senior year of high school I was still obese according to my height and BMI but I was much, much healthier.
I think my healthiest weight was 130 lbs, at least that I can remember. It was my junior year of high school. I played three sports that year in high school-soccer, basketball, and softball. Ever year since middle school I played fall softball and summer softball, and I normally played soccer and softball during the school year. I had never really considered playing basketball since I barely had any understanding or interest in the sport, but my softball coach insisted I join the team to increase my running speed so I did. In addition to the constant sport practice and games I took to running a mile on the track as soon as the winter weather cleared up. I was moving one way or another constantly every day that year. I dropped down to a size 8 in almost all of my clothes. At some point, I stopped running the track and just watched my food type and portion sizes. And I went up to a size 10 in most of my clothes, I wore a size 10 dress to my prom and still held a healthy outlook on my life and body.
After going away to college, and eating in the cafeteria for most of my meals my weight began to increase again.
I was not watching what I was eating. I ate late at night, ordered out whenever I could, stayed up to all hours of the night. I was not eating a balanced diet and was certainly not exercising as I had before I went away to college. And unfortunately after college my habits didn't improve much. I was dating my husband at the end of my senior year of college and moved in with him right after. We went out, and ate out a lot. Our small apartment didn't allow for much kitchen space, without drawers our counters space was limited and when the oven/stove were in use the entire place felt it for hours after we were done cooking. Anyway that lead to sizes 14 and more recently size 16. I got married in a size 16 wedding dress, and go back and forth between size 14 and 16 pants though I don't think I've worn the 14s in a while. My newest weight, 189 lbs doesn't exactly help when  I am getting dressed for work or buying a new outfit. I barely ever like what I'm wearing and see cute clothes that of course don't look cute on me. I've been just getting by and I am tired of it. I'm tired of being tired and saying I'm going to try to lose weight or get in shape and NOT doing it. I start and don't follow through, and when I rebound from my exercise and diet routine it is always at a higher weight then when I started. I have tried Weightwatches, I was successful on it for a while while home from college between breaks but fell off again after returing. I have tried Nutrisystem but the sodium content made me bloated, and I'm a picky eater with some food allergies so I didn't have much choice, got bored and stopped. I've tried eating using the Paelodiet, I did it and felt ok but I'm not a huge meat eater and again the food allergy thing came up. I have tried eating according to my blood type, and found that some of my food irritations were foods I wasn't supposed to eat, but again foods that my blood type should eat are food I'm highly allergic to so that works in combination with the Paelodiet but I didn't see much weight change with them. So again I am at a loss at 189 lbs. Edging my way slowly to 200 lbs. And I am terrified!

No comments:

Post a Comment