Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Week 2

This week has only just begun but I am happy to say I have been on a better path with exercise. Monday I did an hour of Zumba using the Step by Step & Activate Dvd's from my Zumba Exhilarate DVD set. Today, Tuesday I did 30 minutes of Zumba using the Activate Dvd and about 40 minutes of stretching and yoga. I have also been eating a little better, for breakfast the last to mornings I ate a homemade broccoli quiche. I have adapted the quiche from a few different recipes I have seen, kind of combining and adding different pieces from different recipes.


My Crustless Quiche Recipe:
4 large eggs
4 large egg whites (1 cup if you use the prepared whites)
1 1/2 -2 cups of broccoli crowns
1 cup of low fat milk ( I use Lactaid Non-fat)
1/2 cup red onion chopped
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp of ground mustard powder
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp garlic powder
cooking spray or coconut oil

I lightly saute the onion in a frying pan with a quick spritz of cooking spray or a teaspoon of coconut oil for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. While the onions saute, microwave the broccoli according to package instructions (normally add a few teaspoons of water & microwave for 4 minutes). While broccoli cooks combine the eggs, egg whites and milk in a bowl. Beat ingredients together with salt, mustard powder, flour & garlic. Add broccoli and onions and stir. Coat round quiche pan with cooking spray, and then carefully add mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until center is firm.
I have also made this with a 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese OR 2 oz of provolone cheese when my hubby requests it, you can add your favorite low fat cheese if you would like.
The recipe makes 8 servings.

*If you would like to add a crust to your quiche I would recommend using quinoa. I would cook 1/2 cup quinoa in 1 cup of water (or 1/2 c water 1/2 veggies stock). Depending on the quinoa you use you may need to boil the liquid first then add the quinoa until it boils then lower to a simmer or low heat for about 10-15 minutes or until liquid is cooked out. Lay the quinoa in the bottom of your quiche dish after spraying, and then add mixture as explained above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment