Saturday, July 28, 2012

Turkey Swamp Workout

So I closed out my week with three field trips. I went to the beach and fishing earlier in the week and ending yesterday with an outdoor trip to Turkey Swamp a Monmouth County Park with hiking trails and boating. I was excited to get to hiking, the park reminded me a lot of where I grew up in North Western New Jersey, but hiking didn't happen for me. Instead I ended up canoeing for 2 1/2 hours! My arms and back are a little stiff but not nearly as bad as I thought they would be and I got a great work out. I am not exactly a swimmer. As a kid I took swimming lessons but they never really sunk in. I am not afraid of the water I just can't do laps or anything like that. I have been rafting a bunch of times, my first when I was in middle school so I know how to paddle and steer but never attempted in a canoe before. Anyway I was a little nervous to start out in the canoe, not only am I a spastic swimmer I am also not exactly balanced so I was freaked out that we would flip the canoe at any moment on the water. But it all worked out and I ended up being one of two adults who didn't mind rowing, and ended up taking over 30 students out 3 kids at a time.
The new experience makes me anxious to try it again. It was a good workout, I definitely feel the worked muscles thought it was more relaxed ride some rounds then others. I had fun and I can boat and walk the trails when I go back on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment